Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."  ~2 Corinthians 10:5b (NIV).

Taking captive EVERY THOUGHT.  Every thought meaning every single thing that passes through our brains.  Good and bad.  Right and wrong.  When we have any sort of thought, put it to test of whether it is obedient to Christ:  "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."  ~Philippians 4:8 (NIV).  

When I begin to think about how I feel I need new clothes, I will take these thoughts captive, and turn them into obedience: I have plenty of clothes that are in good condition, and scripture tells us, "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?...And why do you worry about clothes?  Se how the flowers of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you - you of little faith?" ~Matthew 6:25, 28-30 (NIV).  Whenever I begin to think about how I "need" to go shopping, I will stop and remember these verses, and will turn my focus back towards God.

When I begin to feel lonely, or miss an old relationship, I will take these thoughts captive, and turn them into obedience: God led me to where I am in life right now, and I listened for His guidance when making decisions in past relationships.  Proverbs 3:5-6 tells us, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths" (ESV).  Whenever I begin to think about how I miss someone or miss a relationship, I will stop and turn my focus back towards God.

No comments:

Post a Comment