Saturday, May 28, 2016

5 Down, 28 to Go!!!




I must admit that at first, I didn't like this radiation stuff.  It just seems lonely, since you are in the room alone (which is good, we don't want anyone else getting radiated lol).  I also didn't really understand why radiation is necessary, or how it works.  My doctor brain has to know exactly HOW something works for me to accept it.  If I don't understand it, I don't like it (side note: I'm probably the same way about people...something to work on!).  Another side note: the ticker above is technically a fundraising ticker...but I'm using it to keep track of my radiations!  ;)


After talking with my medical oncologist yesterday, I realized I need to feel comfortable with any kind of treatment I am receiving.  I needed to do some research on this whole radiation thing, and talk to my radiation oncologist next week.  I spent a few hours yesterday learning about how the radiation therapy works, how the machine works, etc, and I feel a lot better about it now.  Basically it damages the DNA of tumor cells.  Normal healthy cells can repair themselves well, where as tumor cells cannot so they die.  It's quite interesting actually!  Especially the MLC finger-thingies that move around on the machine!  Some links that helped me out:


Slideshow on radiation therapy and how it works


Radiation therapy fact sheet


How does radiation therapy work


So far I have not noticed any side effects, other than a slight pink tint to my skin.  I've been lathering on all kinds of serums, gels, and lotions: prevention is key!  Anyways, I've got 5 down, and 28 to go!  Then on to Tamoxifen for 10 years!  Had my 9th infusion of Herceptin yesterday, and feeling okay today (minus a wicked sinus headache...are the allergies getting anyone else this year too!?  Wow!).  Thanks for reading and for all the love, God bless!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment