One of my new-found favorite activities...verse mapping! This week in our online Bible study, we were challenged to verse map Matthew 6:33: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
My verse mapping (in rough format):
- But = Apart from (this)
- Seek = to go in search of, look for; to try to acquire or gain; aim at
- First = Before anyone or anything else; before seeking ____ from anyone or anything else:
- Before anything else, seek HIM first!
- His kingdom = A realm or sphere in which one thing is dominant. He needs to be dominant in our lives!
- His righteousness = His holiness and perfectness; set apart from
- All these things = Everything, including what is stated in the versus previous to this: clothes, food, water, body (health) = all of our basic needs!
- Will be = Guaranteed they will be given, not "might be" or "may be" given, they WILL BE - how very reassuring!!!
- Given to you = gifted; bestowed as a gift
- As well = in addition to; along with all the other blessings He has given us
- Apart from all else, aim at searching for and living in God's realm and His holiness before you search for anyone or anything else for anything, and everything you need to live will absolutely be bestowed upon you in addition to a multitude of other blessings. (This sounds rough, but it's my interpretation that makes sense in my head! :)
*Do not focus on or worship earthly things! Food (gluttony), clothes (materialism), etc! Focus on HIM first, and we will receive all the necessities of life, and a multitude of blessings beyond that!!!
*Place Him first in our lives, and we will be satisfied with everything we need in all aspects of our lives - basic needs, emotional needs, physical needs - everything!!!
I also think a scripture that goes along well with this one is Luke 16:10-13:
"If you're honest in small things;
you'll be honest in big things;
If you're a crook in small things;
you'll be a crook in big things.
If you're not honest in small jobs,
who will put you in charge of the store?
No worker can serve two bosses:
He'll either hate the first and love the second
Or adore the first and despise the second.
You can't serve both God and the Bank."
Love this! If I can't be responsible for a small about of friends, money, responsibilities, how can God trust me with more friends, a marriage, more money, and more responsibilities at work and at home?
I love and am amazed every day at how powerful His Word is, and how it speaks to every aspect of my life!!! :) Have a blessed day!!!